When electrical work is carried out, a Certificate of Compliance for Electrical Work must be issued to the customer, NSW Fair Trading, and the electricity distributor. The form must be submitted to the relevant parties within seven days of work completion. This is a requirement under the Gas and Electricity (Consumer Safety) Act 2017 and Gas and Electricity (Consumer Safety) Regulation 2018.
A certificate of compliance for electrical work (CCEW) is used to show that any work, installations or tests have met safety regulations and standards. Within Australia, you can only complete very basic electrical works without a license, everything else requires a licensed electrician and a CCEW is required to ensure the electrical work completed is compliant.
The CCEW is a good document to have when it provides a thorough account of the project and the electrical contractor or tradesperson involved. The CCEW has several parts, including:
- The name of the licensed electrician, electrical contractor, or electrical business who completed the job.
- The electrician’s licence number and proof of their NSW electrical licence.
- A document that documents the amount and type of work performed.
- The name of the individual who hired the electrician and where the job was completed.
- A list of all the electrical equipment and tools that we used during the service.
What is required for an electrical compliance certificate in New South Wales?
To receive an Electrical Compliance Certificate in NSW you will need to complete the Online Certificate Compliance Electrical Work (CCEW) template from the NSW Department of Fair Trading. You can download the template here. You will need to know the following details in order to complete the form:
- Installation Address
- Customer Details
- Type of Installation
- Work carried out
- Any special conditions
- Details of equipment installed
- Details of meters at the property
- Installers license details
- Test report results
- Testers license details
- Energy provider where the work was completed
How to fill out a CCEW form
The CCEW form must be completed by a licensed electrician. The following steps outline how to fill in the CCEW form:
- Open a copy of the form from https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/371342/CCEW_template.pdf
- Ensure you apply a unique serial number, this can be done by using your electrical licence number followed by a sequential number. For example, if your licence number is 777777C, your first CCEW will be 777777C001, your second will be 777777C002 and so on.
- Enter the details for the Installation Address, whilst not required, it is beneficial to include the AEMO Metering Provider I.D.
- Enter the Customer Details
- Check the box for the type of installation from the options of Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Rural or Mixed Development.
- Choose an option from the ‘work carried out’ boxes
- Select any special conditions
- List details of any switchboards, circuits, lighting, socket outlets, appliances, generation and/or storage under the ‘Details of Equipment’ section.
- List details for any meters under the ‘Meters – Installed, Removed, Existing’ section
- Enter your Installers License Details
- Complete appropriate testing before confirming you have complied with relevant Acts, Regulations, Codes and Standards as part of the ‘Test Report’ section.
- List your Testers License Details
- Choose an Energy Provider from the drop-down list
- Enter the meter providers email address
- Enter the customers email address
- Press the ‘Submit’ button
How do I get an Electrical Certificate of Compliance?
In order to get a Certificate of Compliance for Electrical Work, your electrician will need to complete the electrical safety certificate form and submit it to the relevant parties within 7 days of electrical installation work completion. When submitting the form, copies should be provided to:
Download the Certificate of Compliance Electrical Work NSW Template
The Certificate of Compliance for Electrical Work template can be downloaded from NSW Fair Trading, click here to download the template.
Certificate of Compliance Electrical Work NSW Sample
The National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) provide a Sample Electrical Certificate of Safety that can be downloaded here.
What are the benefits of having a CCEW?
As it is an electrical compliance certificate, there are several benefits to having a CCEW. Some of these include:
- The certificate shows that the electrical work was done safely and in compliance with regulations and standards.
- The certificate can be used as proof if there is ever an electrical accident or injury and the work needs to be investigated.
- The certificate can help protect the contractor from any legal action that may be taken if there is an electrical accident or injury.
- The certificate can help ensure future electrical work is done safely and in compliance with regulations and standards.
When is an Electrical Certificate of Compliance required in NSW?
Some examples of when electrical installation work needs to be certified include:
- When electrical work is carried out in a home or office.
- When electrical work is carried out in a commercial or industrial building.
- When electrical work is carried out in a public space.
- When electrical work is carried out in a hazardous environment.
- When electrical work involves high-voltage equipment or systems.
If you need to apply for electrical certification, you can contact the relevant authorities in your state or territory. You will need to provide them with information about the electrical work that was carried out, as well as any relevant documentation. Once the application has been approved, you will be issued an electrical compliance certificate.
How to apply for electrical certification
If you need to apply for electrical certification, contact the friendly team at Finnley Electrical. You will need to provide them with information about the electrical work that was carried out, as well as any relevant documentation. Once the application has been approved, you will be issued a Certificate of Compliance for Electrical Work.
Who can help me with electrical certification?
If you need help with an electrical installation certification, the team at Finnley Electrical can assist you with all of your safety and compliance test needs. We have a wealth of experience in electrical installations and can help you with all your electrical needs, from certification to installation. Contact us today to find out more.
Do I need to renew my electrical certificate of compliance?
No, the electrical safety certificate does not need to be renewed.
How much does an electrical certificate of compliance cost?
The certificate is usually free of charge and is done at the time of installation by your electrician or electrical company.
An electrical safety certificate is an important document that shows that any electrical services have been carried out safely and in accordance with regulations and standards. If you are carrying out electrical installations, it is important to obtain a CCEW from the relevant authorities. The CCEW can help protect you from legal action if there is ever an electrical accident or injury, and can also help ensure future electrical services are carried out safely and in compliance with regulations.
How long does it take to get an electrical certificate of compliance?
It usually takes around 7 days to receive the certificate.
What happens if I don’t get a Certificate of Compliance?
When a CCEW is not given out or created correctly, there may be significant problems. When the electrician or electricity network provider fails to give the Compliance Certificate to the customer, it costs $1,000 in alone spot penalties. There may be hefty penalties of up to $550,000 if a certificate was not provided. In addition, if installation operations were not following accepted safety standards and procedures, the fines might be hefty.
A Certificate of Compliance for Electrical Work is an important document for consumer safety that shows that electrical works have been carried out safely and in accordance with regulations. If you are completing an electrical job, it is important to obtain a CCEW from the relevant authorities. The CCEW can help protect you from legal action if there is ever an electrical accident or injury, and can also help ensure future electrical services are carried out safely and in compliance with regulations.
If you need help with electrical certification, the team at Finnley Electrical can assist you. We have a wealth of experience in the electrical industry and can help you with all your electrical needs, from certification to installation. Contact us today to find out more.